Friday, August 22, 2008

The Aeroprakt 20

The Aeroprakt 20 is one of my favourite aircraft in the competition. It's a tandem two-seat 3-axis with the engine in the rear. "I designed it specifically for competitions," Yuri Yakovlev told me. The navigator sits high behind the pilot and both have an exceptional all round view. In its flying attitude the view is almost as good a that of a trike. It's a taildragger and when spot landing Yuri slams on the brakes and the tail comes up while the nose drags along the ground. It doesn't do much for the paintwork but it certainly does stop. "I made 50 then I stopped," said Yuri, "and no two are the same." Yuri was hot favourite to win the dual 3-axis gold medal until Paul's amazing effort in the soaring. Now he'll have to go some to catch up.







Posted by Picasa

No comments: