Saturday, August 16, 2008

Our Place in the Sun?

My first blog so don't give me a hard time. For my sins I'm Team Leader of the British Microlight Team flying in the 10th European Microlight Championships in Leszno, Poland. Being Team Leader puts me pretty low in the pecking order, just below the team and way below Len Tanner and Malcolm Finch who are doing a great job managing logistics and catering. My office is in a double toilet tent, not much but mine own and so far it has kept the rain out.
Did I mention the rain? "We've been waiting for this rain for three months," said the Mayor of Leszno during the opening ceremony. Well, I dare say he has but by now I suspect that even HE has had enough! Nigel Beale, who has been coming to these events since 1986, can't recall worse weather. We had a couple of really hot days at the start of the week to lull us into a false sense of meteorological security. Since then the temperature has dropped by some 15 degrees (and I don't mean Fahrenheit) and it has bucketed down. The only dry spot is the team marquee and we regularly murmer little prayers of thanks to the blessed St. David Daniel who procured it for us. We shiver around the camp in our fleeces and flying suits marvelling that the sky can hold so much water. But enough of rain, already.
There are 8 aircraft in the team, 4 two-seat flexwings, 2 single-seat flexwings and 2 two-seat 3-axis. (If you're new to all this I'll add some photos later). More to the point, the team also includes 5 international gold medal-winning crews. Of our 4 two-seat flexwings, 3 have gold medalists on board. And I only have two Union Flags. Ooops, I shouldn't have said that, should I?
In the single-seat flexwing class flying in his first international we have Rees Keene (we have more Keene's here than you could shake a stick at, the whole family but for Abbie who is home minding the farm). We also have the reigning World Champion Richard 'Tricky' Rawes. However, Tricky's track record in keeping his engine in one piece is not wonderful; indeed, the last time I saw him he had his starter motor spread all over the gound. Nevertheless, motor willing Richard ought to do well.
Of course, Paul Dewhurst, holder of a phenomenal number of medals, is flying his Sky Ranger. He and David Hadley seem to be working very well together and what with the 912S motor and David being built for speed they probably won't have a problem getting out of the box. The box, by the way, is the 100 metre takeoff and landing deck; if aircraft run out of the 'box' on takeoff or landing they lose 20% of their task score. Here are Paul and David outside my toilet tent. Note the fleeces and hats; and this was before the serious rain started.
Anyway, I must now rush off to a Team Leader's briefing. There is a rumour that we will be flying wet-weather spots this afternoon. Judging by the state of the ground I suspect the first person to land will hit his brakes and broadside his way out of the box and across the airfield while the last will land in a large muddy trench! More later.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck chaps - more fun than The Olymics, I'll bet! It's raining here too, so we're with you in every way ;-)

Anonymous said...

good luck to the british team, please keep hadley on the strait and narrow! i will be thinking of you in vain next week! robert gassmann south africa

Anonymous said...

Hope the sun is shining on the British Team, more than can be said here. Look forward to hearing some news soon.

Anonymous said...

Good luck.

Has nothing happened since Saturday? Only thrre entries visible.

Anonymous said...

Keith! Scores... give us the bloomin' scores!!!