Wednesday, August 27, 2008

They Also Serve...

Now that the competition is over I must say a word about those who didn't win medals. Chris & Claire I've already mentioned. Rees Keene did a great job in his first international; I am sure we'll be hearing more from him. Simon Baker & Anita Holmes had their soaring task blown out by an electrical failure but remain very competitive and key members of the team. Finally, Neil King & Alan Weatherall, with a combined age of 128 years, flew a great comp in their first season together. The fact is that the whole team did really well.

Of course, I must now mention the non-flyers. Len Tanner & Malcom Finch did the catering during practice and breakfast throughout. They were cheerful and selfless and great company. Sue Keene once again took on the burden of cooking the meals during competition week. Somehow she smiled happily throughout and as usual everyone agreed they were excellent; I guess that comes from being a farmer's wife with a big family. Nigel Beale brought the spares and Rob Robinson, both invaluable. Nigel kept his monkey bike on the road for me and also found time to fly his sub-115 Chaser and top up his sun tan. Matt drove the van and was only arrested once. Our thanks go to all these terrific team supporters, together with the Eileens, Dawn, Jeanette, Claire and the kids, Tom, Jessica and Holly. Finally, of course, I must thank my Shirley for braving yet another comp, for putting up with me and giving me her support from start to finish.

So ends EMC2008. For me, the enduring memory of the European Microlight Championships at Leszno will be the British Team standing alone on the airfield in the twilight cheering ourselves hoarse as 'Foggy' Dewhurst and 'Hadders' Hadley taxied slowly back in from the deck after their amazing win in the soaring task.

Next year in Czech?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well done to the whole crew. Microlighting as special event in the London Olympics?